Though it is incredibly easy to find recipes using hummus on the internet these days, here are a few facts that every hummus lover should know about the history and popularity of the delicious snack.
1. According to recent market research conducted in 2010, hummus consumption in the US has increased by an astounding 35 percent over a short period of 21 months. During this time, sales have reached nearly 300 million dollars. This is one fo the main drivers for the number of hummus dip recipes that can be found on the internet these days.
2. In October 2008, the Association of Lebanese Industrialists petitioned the Lebanese Ministry of Economy and Trade for protected status from the European Commission for hummus as a uniquely Lebanese food.
3. Did you know that prepared recipes using hummus contains approximately 25 calories and and only two grams of carbohydrates for each one tbsp. serving? This might just be one of the main drivers for the popularity of hummus in recent years.
4. There are numerous varieties of hummus, including roasted garlic, red pepper, roasted pine nut, spinach and artichoke, sun-dried tomato, spicy, lemon, and jalapeño.
5. Traditionally, plates of hummus are topped with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkling of paprika, and/or chopped parsley. Continue reading here: sabra.com